Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Ice Follies

Always important to keep a level head during divorce proceedings, and put the kids first.

* * * * * * * *

Coaches are hired to be fired these days, but wtf..?

Claude Julien had no comment, other than to remark: "Why is everything I love taken from me?!"

* * * * * * * *

Like most people, I expect to be asked the preferred variant of my given name--Rob, Robert or (the spaghetti monster forbid) Bob. So, why do sports networks assume that everyone named Martin just loves being called "Marty" on-air, whether they're French-Canadian, Swiss or Czech? Did they take a poll?

* * * * * * * *

I'm glad to find out I'm not the only one who's rubbed the wrong way by Sportsnet analyst Nick Kypreos.

As a sports "personality" and member of said network's obligatory panel o' blowhards, The Kipper's speciality is making snarky, dismissive comments about other players. At the trade deadline, for example, and if memory serves me correctly, he joined in the general piling-on against the Leafs' re-acquisition of oft-undervalued veteran centreman Yanic Perrault. Not what the team needed, will add nothing, etc.

Fair enough. This is analysis, after all.

But, just for comparison's sake, here are Perrault's career stats, and those of a certain former middle-market heavy and fourth-line spear-carrier who was lucky enough to play for a cup winner.

No comments: